- Hits: 2183
The Church Hall may be booked for events and parties.
To find out about availability contact David Mellor on 01629 55185
- Hits: 2759
All Saints was built between 1882 and 1884. The original design was for a much larger church tower and spire, but funds ran out and a temporary west wall was built instead. The present west end of the church was completed in the 1950s.
View of the Church from the west end
Church interior from the Balcony
Starting at the West End, you are in the newest part of the church, comprising entrance vestibule, baptistry and gallery. These were built in 1958 at a cost of £16,000 to a design by Charles H Potter of Matlock. The baptistry is now the children’s corner.
|The Windows in the North Aisle, made by Messrs Heaton, Butler and Bayne of London, were presented by the congregation in memory of Job Smith JP, the first Vicar’s Warden who served for 22 years.|
|The St. Nicholas Altar stands at the end of the north aisle. Dorothy Cowle made the tapestry of the Last Supper in 1975 as part of her Bishop’s Certificate.|
|The Pulpit is part of the original furnishings of the church.|
|The Brass Screen was given in 1898 in memory of Charles Collinson who chaired the first meeting of the congregation of the Mission Room in 1876.|
|The Lectern was given by the Sunday School teachers and scholars prior to the opening of the church in 1884.|
|The Oak Parclose Screens around the Victorian choir stalls were designed by a Matlock architect, W N Statham, and executed by Messrs Advent Huntstone of Tideswell. They were presented in 1935 in memory of Miss Anne Hodkin by her nieces and nephews.|
|The Reredos of Caen stone with marbled pilasters was presented in 1898 by Thomas P Ryder of Notting Hill, London. Our Lord crucified with his mother St Mary Magdalen and St John form the centre group. They are flanked by symbols of the four Evangelists.|
|Above rises the East Window in memory of the Revd John Higgs who gave the site of the church. The window was given in 1905 by his cousin and heir, Thomas Dakin of Derby. The window, based on a design attributed to Burne-Jones, was made by William Morris and Co of Merton Abbey, Surrey. The central light depicts Christ with the cross as a tree of life, the Virgin Mary and St John as a priest holding a book containing the opening words of his Gospel. On either side are the four Evangelists with Saints Peter and Paul (robed as Old Testament prophets) below.|
|The Altar, which replaced an earlier one, together with the Oak Panelling on either side of the reredos, was made by J W Wippell & Co Exeter. It was installed in 1928 as a memorial to the first Vicar, Revd Adam Lowe. The Panelling on the north and south walls of the sanctuary was installed in 1936 in memory of the Rt Revd Edmund Pearce, first Bishop of Derby, and the Bishop’s Chair and Prayer Desk in1936 in memory of James Potter of Matlock Bank.|
|The Lady Chapel was furnished as such with its own altar between 1925-27. Its East Window is in memory of Elizabeth Briggs, one of the early benefactors of the church. Two of the south windows, emblematic of Our Lord the Good Shepherd, are in memory of Emily Augusta Leigh. The third window, in a modern design, depicting "All Saints" was installed in 2005 in memory of Philip Turner. The Chapel was refurbished in 1945 in memory of the Revd W H Nixon, Vicar from 1926 to 1941. The altar, reredos and side panelling were designed by a member of the congregation, A H M Harding, a retired colonial civil servant and engineer. The Chapel was screened from the chancel with glass in 1992, thanks to a bequest from Edith Slack.|
|The two eastern most Windows in the South Aisle are in memory of W H Woodman and his wife Louise. The two windows to the west illustrate the text "Lead Kindly Light" and are in memory of Mary Potter.|
|The Font carved with a design symbolising All Saints is part of the original church.|
|The Children's Corner|
(The following items are stored in the Vestry for safe-keeping):-
The Communion Plate was given in 1884 by Elizabeth Briggs in memory of her parents. A Second Communion Chalice was given by Elizabeth Tysoe in 1933. The Silver Communion Bread Box was presented in 1951 in memory of the late S N Thorpe, a Headmaster of All Saints’ School. Mr Gordon Turner and his wife Mary gave a ciborium in 1979.
- a white chasubule, burse and veil, designed and made by the Revd Leonard Childs, was given by Matlock Parish Church (St Giles) in thanksgiving for help during an interregnum. In 1984 Doris Brader, a member of the congregation, designed and made a cope which was presented by her and the parish officers in commemoration of the All Saints’ Centenary. Subsequently the set was completed with red, purple and green chasubles, given in memory of Eric Stevens, a long-serving churchwarden.
A more detailed and technical description of the architecture of the church can be found at this link - Historic England - All Saints - Matlock
Also there are more references to be found here - All Saints, Matlock - Wikipedia
- Hits: 4296
The Church from Smedley Street
The church will be open for private prayer only on Monday and Thursday
9am until 2pm beginning on Monday July 6th.
Please follow the guidelines in church. Use the hand-gel on arrival and when leaving.
Observe 2-metre social distancing; no more than 6 people in total at any one time.
This church is still at work and relies on donations to provide care and support to everyone in this community.
Now more than ever, please consider giving generously to support our mission and ministry. Thank you for your support.
To view a way to make a single or regular donation to All Saints please visit this link:
Donate to All Saints
All Saints’ Church is the Church of England Parish Church for Matlock Bank and Matlock Moor. The Church was built in 1884-1886 to serve the Victorian hydros of Matlock.
Due to lack of money only part of the original design was built in grand style with a more modest west end constructed in 1958.
All Saints seeks to serve and pray for people of Matlock Bank, working closely with the local Church Infant and Junior schools.
We warmly welcome everyone to worship.
Members of any church are welcome to receive Communion
There is a children's area on the right, near the font where there are activities for them.
The Church is open Mon – Fri, between 9.00am – 2.00pm
Rector: Revd. Richard Reade
Curate: Revd. Dr. Anne Phillips
Reader: John Paulson
Reader: Brenda Silcock
8am - Said Communion - BCP
10-45am - Sung Communion - Common Worship (except 3rd Sunday in month)
10-45am - Family Service - special format (3rd Sunday in the month)
6-30pm - Evensong on the 4th Sunday only (March to October)
Sung Communion Service
1pm 'Wednesday at One' - short service of prayer and reflection
Extra services in accordance with the Church of England calendar
If you wish to enquire about a wedding, baptism,
funeral or anything else concerning a church service
please use this link:
then enter Matlock in the Place field, then select All Saints from the list.
How to find us:-
We are located in Smedley Street, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3JG as indicated in the map below:-
(map reproduced from Streetmap.co.uk - copyright)
Diocese of Derby Statement about Safeguarding
Protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults is the responsibility of us all, whether they are in the communities in which we live or part of our Christian family. If you have a concern about a child, young person or adult who may be at risk of harm please speak to one of the parish safeguarding coordinators or the priest within the parish. If you have concerns about a member of the clergy or an employee of the Diocese please contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Julian Hodgson (01332 388678) or one of the Archdeacons. You can also report any concerns to the Police or Social Care. The important thing is that your concerns are shared with someone in a position to help.
Visit this link on the Diocese of Derby website for more information, or to report a concern - Derby Diocese Safeguarding Team
Protocols and practice guidance for the Church of England’s Past Cases Review 2, (PCR2) have been published and are on the National Church of England Website. www.churchofengland.org/safeguarding/promoting-safer-church/safeguarding-news-statements/past-cases-review-2 Individual survivors who wish to make representations to the PCR2 process in the Diocese or who need to come forward with information or make any disclosures regarding church related abuse are encouraged to make direct contact with the Safeguarding Team 01332 388678 or the dedicated national helpline - 0800 80 20 20 - operated independently from the church, by the NSPCC.
The Church is a United Benefice with Holy Trinity Tansley
Page 2 of 2